Re: Problems regarding sound ... Or udev?

Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>:
>  vivek shah wrote:
> >
> >         I am using Debain Etch on my Acer laptop and it was running
> > fine till the sound stopped working suddenly. I was playing a movie on
> > [snip]
> > Please note I did no upgrade or package install when this problem
> > occured. It just stopped in the middle.
>
>  There was a previous thread [2] in which OSS apps running under ALSA stopped
>  working (eg XMMS, Audacity, etc). Check that /dev/dsp exists; if not check that
>  the snd_pcm_oss is loaded:
>
>  	# file /dev/dsp
>  	/dev/dsp: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/dsp' (No such file or directory)

This sounds more like a udev problem, and somewhat like what I'm
having right now with lp0.  It just stopped working:

   (0) heretic /etc/udev_ checkpc
   Warning - cannot chdir to '//var/spool/lpd' as UID 1000, GRP 1000 - 'Permission denied'
   Warning -  bad directory - //var/spool/lpd/lp
   Warning -   Printer_DYN 'lp0' spool dir '/var/spool/lpd/lp' needs fixing

   (0) heretic [root] /root_ checkpc
   Warning - lp0: cannot stat lp device '/dev/lp0' - No such file or directory