Re: Acceptable CPU temperature range of idle computer?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:13:42 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:13:42 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:17:44PM +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

>> Since upgrading from Sarge to Etch, my CPU temperature appears to be
>> running 5-10 deg.C higher;

>> and I have failed to locate any reference to an acceptable temperature
>> range.
>> All advice will be gratefully received.
> Run top.  Do you really have 120 processes actually running?  What are
> they if you consider the computer idle?
The info came from "KSysGuard" - which, I believe, analyses the "top"
> I can't even load up my P-II lower than about 60% idle momentarily or
> 80% consistantly.  Then again it only has 64 MB ram so to do anything
> big gets into swapping which gives the CPU pleanty of time to rest :)

Looks as though "bigger is not always better".  I have 512 MB RAM.  My
CPU works hard; the swap partition is just a decoration - it never gets
> My Athlon64 never gets above 35 C, my video card's GPU never above 40C.
> Then again, the internal case temp is ambient == 20 C.

There are some benefit to living in Canada!  Here (Australia) our
ambient temperatures (and the motherboard temperatures) creep up to the
high 30s in summer; now (our Spring) it is 24 deg C and the CPU
temperature is (currently) 44 deg C.  Yesterday, during a Systems
backup, the CPU temperature reached 62 deg C! And the computer still
works today!  But, one day my luck will run out.
> What controlls your fans?
I do not think that the fan (I have only one) is the problem.
Otherwise the MB temperature would also be higher.

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)