Re: Acceptable CPU temperature range of idle computer?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:13:42 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:13:42 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:17:44PM +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

>> Since upgrading from Sarge to Etch, my CPU temperature appears to be
>> running 5-10 deg.C higher;

SNIP

>> and I have failed to locate any reference to an acceptable temperature
>> range.
>>
>> All advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Run top.  Do you really have 120 processes actually running?  What are
> they if you consider the computer idle?

The info came from "KSysGuard" - which, I believe, analyses the "top"
data.

> I can't even load up my P-II lower than about 60% idle momentarily or
> 80% consistantly.  Then again it only has 64 MB ram so to do anything
> big gets into swapping which gives the CPU pleanty of time to rest :)

Looks as though "bigger is not always better".  I have 512 MB RAM.  My
CPU works hard; the swap partition is just a decoration - it never gets
used.

> My Athlon64 never gets above 35 C, my video card's GPU never above 40C.
> Then again, the internal case temp is ambient == 20 C.

There are some benefit to living in Canada!  Here (Australia) our
ambient temperatures (and the motherboard temperatures) creep up to the
high 30s in summer; now (our Spring) it is 24 deg C and the CPU
temperature is (currently) 44 deg C.  Yesterday, during a Systems
backup, the CPU temperature reached 62 deg C! And the computer still
works today!  But, one day my luck will run out.

> What controlls your fans?

I do not think that the fan (I have only one) is the problem.
Otherwise the MB temperature would also be higher.

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen