Re: Problems with text file going from Linux to MS Windows

Hi there,

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 Matus UHLAR wrote:

> On 21.07.07 10:46, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > If I want to send a text file to an MS Windows user there are problems: in
> > fact, in MS Windows a text file which has been composed under Linux is not
> > correctly read: the line ends are not recognised.
>
> how do you transfer those files? FTP has ASCII transfer which translates
> line ends correctly and mail has also well-defined line ends, so all mail
> clients know how to convert.
>
> It can be a problem when you edit the same file on the same disk using
> different editors, but meny editors support both line ends...
>
> > The remedy is to cut the text and paste it into an MS Word file, then cut
> > it again and re-paste it into the text file, which is not so good because
> > this way I need rebooting every time into the Windows partition.

No, the remedy is to use the proper tool.  You're looking for 'todos'
or one of its aliases.  However, so was I on this newly-installed
Debian system of mine...

tornado:~# >>> man todos
No manual entry for todos
tornado:~# >>> apt-cache search todos
sysutils - Miscellaneous small system utilities - dummy package
tofrodos - Converts DOS <-> Unix text files, alias tofromdos
tornado:~# >>> apt-get install sysutils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  memtester procinfo tofrodos
The following NEW packages will be installed
  memtester procinfo sysutils tofrodos
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/83.4kB of archives.
After unpacking 336kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
 'Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20070407-12:15'
in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter
Selecting previously deselected package memtester.
(Reading database ... 86755 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking memtester (from .../memtester_2.93.1-3.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package procinfo.
Unpacking procinfo (from .../procinfo_18-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package tofrodos.
Unpacking tofrodos (from .../tofrodos_1.7.6-2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package sysutils.
Unpacking sysutils (from .../sysutils_2.0.1_all.deb) ...
Setting up memtester (2.93.1-3.1) ...
Setting up procinfo (18-1) ...
Setting up tofrodos (1.7.6-2) ...
Setting up sysutils (2.0.1) ...
tornado:~# >>> man tofrodos
No manual entry for tofrodos
tornado:~# >>> man tofromdos
No manual entry for tofromdos
tornado:~# >>> man -k tofromdos
tofromdos: nothing appropriate.
tornado:~# >>> man -k tofrodos
tofrodos: nothing appropriate.
tornado:~# >>> man procinfo
Reformatting procinfo(8), please wait...
tornado:~# >>> tofrodos
-su: tofrodos: command not found
tornado:/usr/bin# >>> man fromdos
Reformatting fromdos(1), please wait...

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a bugzilla for man pages?

--

73,
Ged.