Re: a LaTeX question

* Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> [070901 06:21]:
> Does anyone here use LaTeX.  Not a Debian question at all, but isn't it
> possible to define a quantity, say a cash amount
>     \def\yearly {12000}
> and then have latex calculate from it to enter another figure, say
>     \monthly=\yearly / 12
> hoping to get the figure '1000' printed in the document by inserting
> '\monthly'.
> Obviously that is not correct markup, but does any wise person know how
> to achieve that?

Look at the "calc" package.

If you do not have a copy of "A Guide to LaTeX" by Helmut Kopka &
Patrick W. Daly, you need to get a copy.  It is by far the best LaTeX
book, and the only one you likely shall need.  The 4th edition is the
latest, but the 3rd edition is the one I use, and the 3rd edition has
a better grade of paper.  ISBN 0-201-39825-7 for the 3rd edition.

RLH