Re: upgrading ubuntu to debian

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <8XYlu-2Yr-13@gated-at.bofh.it>, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 08/30/07 14:37, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> While it's just a small, niggling detail and may be just semantics,
>> there is a true root account on Ubuntu that can be used the same as a
>> root account on any Debian release.  The only difference is it doesn't
>> have a password on setup.
>
> You've GOT to be kidding...  Right?  Please?

It's basically the live CD copied to hard drive until you
lock it down.  You get a root shell by going

  sudo su -

Same as Knoppix.  Seems like the opposite of how sudo is
supposed to be used.  I think the idea is if you had enough
(physical) access to boot the live CD, you can be root anyway.
My objection is a whole lot of people are gonna grow up
thinking sudo is supposed to be like that.

>>                           I used:
>> sudo passwd
>> (or maybe it was sudo passwd root)

That's what you're supposed to do before you expose it
to the net.

Cameron