Re: upgrading ubuntu to debian

On 8/31/07, Britton Kerin <bkerin@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I just bought a computer that came with ubuntu and would like to switch
> it to pure debian.  Is there a standard way to do this that someone
> could point me to?
>
> (Though I will say that little hack where the shell tells you which
>  package a program is in looks pretty cute and helpful :)
>
> Thanks,
> Britton
>

> --

Ubuntu and Debian are not compatible.  Once someone wanted to use the
source of Debian to install packages in Ubuntu, but finally his Ubuntu
crashed.  Many people have done this and got the same result.  So if
you want to transfer Ubuntu to Debian, I suggest you to format your /
partition and reinstall Debian.

Debian is also have the sudo package, but it will not be installed
through the installation.

If you want to use GNOME, Ubuntu is also a good choice. It's very
stable.  But if you want to use KDE, as far as my experience, KUbuntu
is less stable than both GNOME of Ubuntu and KDE of Debian.