Re: Garmin GPS on USB port

On 8/29/07, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:16:14PM -0400, Bernard wrote:

> I try to communicate with my GPS via a USB port but without success.  I used
> to do it with a serial connection without problem.  Eventually, I will have
> to plug my GPS on a laptop with USB port only so I have to find a solution.
> According to a few things read on the web I have to load the garmin_gps
> module.  I did it with succes but the documentation found said to use
> /dev/ttyUSB? which device I don't have.  Maybe I still have a few things to
> understand about the USB devices and udev!
>
> I would like to know if someone have been able to communicate with a Garmin
> GPS via a USB port and how you did it.  Or maybe someone with a good
> understanding of USB and udev could help me understand what is going on and
> what I should do to make it work.

Your documentation may not have taken udev into account.  Assuming that
you're using standard Etch, run tail -f /var/log/syslog and then plug in
the gps and see if a message appears that tells you what device it
connects to.  I've never hooked my GPS up to the computer.  However, for
comparison, my Palm comes up as something like /dev/pilot.

Doug.

Ok, here is what I got from syslog:

Aug 29 21:53:15 zherc kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 3
Aug 29 21:53:28 zherc kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
Aug 29 21:53:28 zherc kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Do you seen something useful from this?

Thanks for the help,
Bernard