NetworkManager help, esp. after suspend

I'm a relatively new Debian user, running an up-to-date Etch on
a ThinkPad T60.

I'm having some trouble getting the NetworkManager app to work
the way it seems it should. In particular, after a suspend it
takes some time (a few minutes) to acknowledge that there are
network interfaces present, and then it is unable to connect
to any available network. I'm sitting fifteen feet away from a
WAP, and it (and others) shows in the list of available
networks, but when I try to join, it just spins for a while
before giving up.

I was able to get a wireless connection by running
network-admin, which connected instantly, but this seems not
to work with NetworkManager--my connection didn't show in
the status bar on the panel.

Interestingly, as I was typing this (having connected with
network-admin), the NetworkManager thing started spinning,
indicating that it was trying to join a network, and it did
successfully join my network. This was perhaps five or six
hours after my last suspend.

Is there anything I should be doing differently? The docs on
NetworkManager are pretty slim. If it works as advertised it
would be really convenient, but I do need to be able to come
out of a suspend a join a network immediately.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower