Re: capture real audio stream

Lorenzo Bettini <bettini@dsi.unifi.it> writes:

> well that somehow makes me feel better, 'cause I was starting to feel
> stupid since I wasn't able to find no such links ;-)

If you go to the home page for BBC radio 2 and click on Listen at the
top right, you will see the "Listen using stand-alone Real Player" link
on the left hand side.  That is the link I had expected on the player
used for Listen again, and it does seem odd that it exists on one player
and not the other.  Maybe BBC has a policy about listen again since it
is effectively "play on demand" where the live player requires you
stream in real time just when it happens to be on?  There is also a
disclaimer of sorts on the BBC Radio 2 pages saying that the listen
again player is having some difficulties.  Maybe this is one?  I am
inclined to think that is not the case though, and likely it is
intentional and has to do with the perceived difference of listen again
and live playing.

> I'm trying the link you provided with the command
>
> mplayer
> "rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio2/fridaymusic.ra?BBC-UID=a426cbda207670378b86528c714caba3684a2b4fc040b101329203b36444a5b5&SSO2-UID='"
> -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:file=/mnt/appo/musica/webber.wav
>
> and it seems to work fine! :-)

Glad to hear.  It has always served me fine.  BTW, the only reason I
have not been prone to using dumpstream as I know others do is that for
some reason a while back I would get a mysterious failure that way and
mplayer would quit midstream.  I really don't know why, but using '-ao
pcm..." has not had that problem as often, though I have run into it
from time to time.

> by the way, isn't there a way to record directly in mp3 I suppose?

I suppose it may be possible, but I have never tried.  I always clean up
the resulting file anyway.  The files that mplayer records this way are
almost always quite a bit longer than the actual item being recorded,
and so I like to trim off the extra stuff on the ends, and I use either
audacity or sox to do that.  Wavs mean not having to uncompress and
recompress the stream which keeps it from degrading.  I also like to
normalize it and while it can be done with mp3 it doesn't work on most
players and so I do that to the wav and then compress it to ogg or mp3.

>> I do hope this is not the way that the BBC Radio people will be doing
>> things everywhere, as it is certainly a great deal less convenient.
>
> Later I'll try with epiphany too... but why are you saying that it is
> due to a broken install of epiphany?

Opera and Firefox (Iceweasel) just play the file in a hidden and
seamless way, which is obviously what should happen.  That makes it hard
to know what is being played but it does seem the expected behaviour.
Epiphany, on the other hand, fails and so alerts me to that and tells me
the full name of the file in so doing.  Good for us, but since the file
doesn't play it means that the plugins for realplay are not present and
working and neither is totem (which is what epiphany is trying to open
the file with.)  So, something in there does seem broken right now,
though that is actually a good thing.  It makes me wonder if I moved
realplay would that make the other browsers alert me similarly?  Just a
thought if I were desperate.

Patrick