Re: Strange 224.0.0.251 address being accessed on bootup

Nigel Henry wrote:
> It obviously didn't work, and appears that
> if a script is in /etc/init.d, and there are no links to it in the runlevel
> directories, the script is run anyway.

I think that avahi may be started by /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon,
when a network interface is brought up. I'd suggest editing
/etc/default/avahi-daemon.

BTW, there's a persuasive argument that wanting to disable avahi/mDNS to
improve your system's security is similar to wanting to disable DNS or
DHCP to improve your systems's security.
<http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/zeroconf-ubuntu>

--
see shy jo