From: "Raquel" <raquel@thericehouse.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: Shut down or leave on?

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:45:51 -0700
> Jeff <debian@waysoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Raquel wrote:

> <snip>

>> > I've always gone for leaving my machines on.  I feel there is
>> > less wear and tear on components by leaving the machine on.
>> >
>> Specifically, as I understand it, thermal shock to minuscule
>> electronic  components during power-on.  In the past, I've lost a
>> number of  motherboards and processors due (presumably) to this
>> effect.  Since  keeping my machines on 24/7 (for several years
>> now), I have not had any  such problems.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> I also understand that when the hard disks get power that the
> platters torque just a tad, if not causing heads to come into
> contact with the platter, at least causing wear on bearings.

The stress created during the cool down and heat up cycle, between powering off and powering on, can cause microfractures in the solid state components. Further, on the lower quality powersupplies, the power on sequence can cause
current surges that can also weaken electronic components, although the
filtering in the present day switching powersupplies is supposed to
eliminate this.  The amount electricity usage from present day devices is
minimal compared to replacement costs for those devices.  I say, leave it
on.

-mike

A really good question. Pretty much all the components are the same, except that they try to user lower microprocessors in laptops, meaning heat generators. The also try to use other lower power components as well. But here is where we come against a stumbling block as to what I and others have already said. Unlike the desktop machines, there just isn't the realestate available in a laptop. Less realestate, less room for thins like fans. The fans present don't have near the air flow as their bigger cousins. Plus,factor in the recent problems with batteries catching fire. I know that there was a big recall on the batteries in question, but this answer has to be tempered for all those who haven't taken advantage of that recall. Despite the previous answer, the same things apply, I would say, turn it off. As far as laptops are concerned, I would turn it off when not in use.

I have two desktops and one laptop. I keep the desktops on 24x7. The laptop I turn off whenever not in use. Because of being battery powered, there are less current surges on power on with laptop. IMHO.

-mike