i686 Port

I was wondering why debian doesn't have a port of packages optimised for
i686, I realise they have support for i386, which obviously incudes
everything from an intel 386 to the latest and greatest intel and amd
processors (running in 32bit), ultimatley the i686 already has 'support'
however I just thought it would be great if a port was available where the
packages had been compiled specifically for i686 as I have noticed that
when I use i686 optimised distro's such as arch, or even slackware there
is a noticable performance difference.

Richard Thompson