Re: which videcard for dual-monitor setup?

Tinus Nijmeijers wrote:
I always thought the dvi and analog output were the same signal; how do
you get X to show something different on both screens?

Well, by default it is, but if the driver tells it to do something else it would.

I'm using two 19" 1280x1024 monitors with one big 2560x1024 desktop spread over both screens, hooked up to a Radeon 7000 with 32MB RAM.

The xorg.conf stuff differs from card to card and driver to driver. The 7000 uses the opensource ati driver (Driver "radeon"). I know nvidia has their own system (I think it's called "twinview"?) and the ATI's fglrx driver has another way of doing things too.

If you have the same card (or a 7500 or 9x00) which will work with the same driver I'll share my xorg.conf and some tips.