Re: Search for string in files

Johannes Tax wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to find a certain string inside a bunch of
> files. If I, for examples, look for a certain function in a large source
> tree, I could do
>
> cat `find . -name '*.c'` | grep 'a_certain_function'
>
> but this seems quite awkward, furthermore it doesn't help that much
> because I don't know in which file the string was found. Maybe there's a
> tool that makes it possible to find a string in a bunch of files and
> also to list in which file the string was found? Or any modification to
> the command given above?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Johannes
>
> --
> Johannes Tax
> jo.ey@gmx.at
Hi Johannes,
If you don't mind a non-cli-solution you can use the Find File built into
Konqueror. It's in the Tools menu. You just specify your filter and then go
into the Contents tab where you can specify which text your looking for.
You get the results in a nice clickable pane. Maybe other file managers
have a similar feature.
Cheers,
Jonathan