Re: fresh kde install

--- "L.V.Gandhi" <lvgandhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed etch base system and th    en
> installed xorg. I was
> trying to install kde
> apt-get install kde kdm
> I get msg saying
> the following packages has unmet dependencies
> kde:depends on kde-core(>=5.47), but it not going to
> be installed
>     :depends on kde-amusements(>=5.47), but it not
> going to be installed
> :depends on kdeaddons(>=4:3.4.3), but it not going
> to be installed
> :depends on kde-pim(>=4:3.4.3), but it not going to
> be installed
> Whe there is this problem in even in stable?
> How to install kde
> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
> linux user No.205042

No idea why those won't install automatically -- maybe
they are kept in a 'hold' state for some reason.

You could run `aptitude install kde kdm`, it might try
harder to get kde installed.
Also this can be done using the gui of `aptitude`; it
will show problems it found with your requested
installation of packages

Alternatively, you might add all the packages that
"are not going to be installed" to the apt-get line,
like

`apt-get install kde kdm kde-core kde-amusements
kdeaddons  kde-pim` - that way you'll probably get
around the problem too

HTH,

Joris

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/