Re: Networking problems

> On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 07:20 -0700, Dr. Jennifer
> Nussbaum wrote:
> > Im on a wireless network now. I had a system
> freeze,
> > and when i rebooted, no networking interfaces came
> up
> > at
> > all. I was unable to get anything recognized, but
> then
> > again im not sure how to do this anyway.
> >
> > I rebooted again, this time booting into
> 2.6.18-4-686
> > (instead of -5-), and wireless networking did come
> up
> > in the boot process. However the Network Manager
> > applet doesnt show this--its still reporting in
> grey
> > "no network devices have been found". But if I run
> > network-admin it
> > does show that eth1 (my wirelss) is running, and i
> can
> > get online.
>
> Hello.
>
> Could you post the contents of your
> /etc/network/interfaces file? If an
> interface is set there, NetworkManager will ignore
> it, so this may be
> the cause.

Here it is:

--- begin included file ---
~ $ more /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available
on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see
interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet dhcp
wireless-essid 06B410505753

auto eth1
--- end included file ---

I hadnt done anything intentionally to use this--i
wanted to be using NetworkManage for everything. How
do i go back?

Also, theres still the (probably bigger) problem that
2.6.18-5 doesnt find my wireless interface at all. And
that even though i upgraded to 2.6.18-6, this isnt
given to me as an option when i boot. Any thoughts
about those?

Thank you!

Jen

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/