aptitude dist-upgrade and tex dependencies

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:39:17 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>> Is there any way to stop dist-upgrade from upgrading tetex to texlive?
>
>   Holding the various tetex packages (tetex-bin, tetex-common,
> tetex-extra, tetex-doc) "should" work -- but I wouldn't be surprised

Unfortunately, no. Thanks Sven for pointing out the bug#434731

Here is my result:

% aptitude hold tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra
 . . .
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1078 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done

% aptitude -s dist-upgrade
 . . .
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
 . . .
  python2.5-minimal texlive-base texlive-base-bin texlive-doc-base
  texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended vde2 xorg-docs
 . . .
  tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra
 . . .
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
 . . .
tetex-base
tetex-bin
tetex-extra

> if they get dragged in by dependencies anyway.  aptitude holds don't
> prevent versioned dependencies from forcing an upgrade, unfortunately.

I was planning to file a support bug report to 434731@bugs.debian.org, now
I'm thinking, I should file a separate bug report on the package
dependencies, because all I've been using was tetex, and it is only
because some packages wrongly depends on texlive instead of tex-common
that drag me into this mess.

However, I think I'd better ask for advices before doing so.
Please comments.

> Personally, I would just bite the bullet and do the
> upgrade -- tetex is going away and you'll have to switch over eventually
> anyway.
>  Is there a particular difficulty you're running into with the upgrade?

Yeah, I guess that is an easier solution now. Previously, as stated in OP,
I hoped that keeping tetex from upgrading to texlive will ease the Etch to
Lenny transition for the moment, because I've upgraded over 500 packages
already, and there are still over a thousand packages waiting to be
upgraded. Moreover, I've read that there are still several pending issues
with texlive. I just want to avoid troubles as much as possible.

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/