Re: boot error

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:42:45 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 08:46:01 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:23:54 +0200
> > Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > dpkg -l hal\*
>
> > pn  hal                      <none>                   (no description available)
> > pn  hal-device-manager       <none>                   (no description available)
> > pn  hal-doc                  <none>                   (no description available)
> > pn  hal-info                 <none>                   (no description available)
> > pn  halibut                  <none>                   (no description available)
> >
> > Not there. What else could cause the problem ??
>
> The fact that hal is not installed causes the message. Something else
> seems to assume that the haldaemon user exists. You can either ignore
> the message, or install hal (why did you purge it?),

As I recall I didn't purge it - it was removed when some other stuff got installed
during a Kernel update. Again as I recall Hal wasn't (isn't??) compatible with
something else kernel-related.

or find out which
> configuration file on your system contains a reference to haldaemon and
> file a bug against the corresponding package. (I assume that if another
> package has a configuration file that refers to the haldaemon user then
> it should depend or maybe even pre-depend on the hal package.)

   Well since the error seems to come from dbus, I would think it would be one of
its config files...but there is no reference to hal or haldaemon in them. Very
strange.

Cheers

Frank
--
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how