Re: aptitude unintuitive behaviour (bug resolving dependencies?)

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 12:34:32PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 05:29:40PM +0200, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:

> > So one of the recommends must be depending on or recommending apache
> > 1.3, right?  I've played a bit around with apt-cache --recurse depends
> > but I couldn't figure out the culprit (at least not in 3 minutes :-)
> >
> > It seems like I might to add the --without-recommends into apt.conf.
>
> If you are in interactive mode you should be able to unmark a recommend.
> I think you can achieve the same on command-line if you pass
> 'notwantedpackage-'.

I don't know if that will work.  Unless you tell aptitude to not tread
recommends as strong depends, it may automatically resolve these
dependancies.

However, in the CUI, you can select the option to not treat recommends
as strong depends.  When you select a pacakge for installation that has
recommends, they won't be marked then for installation.  When you hit
'g'o the first time, aptitude presents a list of what it wants to do but
it also presents the list of packages that are recommended and suggested
by packages that are marked for installation.  You can then select from
these.

Doug.