Re: hda: DMA timeout error, is it a problem ?

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:12:28PM +0200, Shams Fantar wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

Try shutdown, disable DMA in the bios, and reboot into single-user mode
(avoids mounting the drive rw).  See if the messages show up in dmesg.
Then reboot into normal mode and check syslog for that boot (ignore
previous boots).
There are the same messages.

The thing about S.M.A.R.T.  If it says the drive is failing, then it is.
If it says the drive is OK then it may be, or not.

Try booting either the install disk in rescue mode or a live CD so that
the drive is totally unmounted.  Run a full filesystem check with
read/write badblocks check.  I'm not thinking you'll find bad blocks,
but it forces the drive firmware to verify each block of the disk
platter.  Check the syslog of the live or install CD to see if you have
the same errors.
Yes, there are still the same messages.

Then reboot the normal system and check syslog again.  Then start
another S.M.A.R.T. long test and wait its recommended time and review
the result.
The new long test available at http://jumble.snurf.info/desktop/hard-disk

So is it dead?

According to SMART, the drive is fine.  If the filesystem badblocks
check was OK then that seems to be OK too.

So I don't know why you're having DMA errors.  Hopefully someone who
knows more about SMART and the ide driver can shed some light.  Perhaps
its a driver issue.

Doug.

Okay.

--