Re: hda: DMA timeout error, is it a problem ?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:12:28PM +0200, Shams Fantar wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> >Try shutdown, disable DMA in the bios, and reboot into single-user mode
> >(avoids mounting the drive rw).  See if the messages show up in dmesg.
> >Then reboot into normal mode and check syslog for that boot (ignore
> >previous boots).
>
> There are the same messages.
>
> >The thing about S.M.A.R.T.  If it says the drive is failing, then it is.
> >If it says the drive is OK then it may be, or not.
> >
> >Try booting either the install disk in rescue mode or a live CD so that
> >the drive is totally unmounted.  Run a full filesystem check with
> >read/write badblocks check.  I'm not thinking you'll find bad blocks,
> >but it forces the drive firmware to verify each block of the disk
> >platter.  Check the syslog of the live or install CD to see if you have
> >the same errors.
>
> Yes, there are still the same messages.
>
> >Then reboot the normal system and check syslog again.  Then start
> >another S.M.A.R.T. long test and wait its recommended time and review
> >the result.
>
> The new long test available at http://jumble.snurf.info/desktop/hard-disk
>
> So is it dead?

According to SMART, the drive is fine.  If the filesystem badblocks
check was OK then that seems to be OK too.

So I don't know why you're having DMA errors.  Hopefully someone who
knows more about SMART and the ide driver can shed some light.  Perhaps
its a driver issue.

Doug.