Re: printing from kpdf does not work

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 22:40:55 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > Are you using the lpr command from the "cupsys-bsd", the "lpr" or the
> > "lprng" package?  Do you use CUPS with KDE?
> >
> $dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr
> cupsys-bsd: /usr/bin/lpr
>

> $dpkg -l \*print cups\* | grep ^ii
> ii  cups-pdf                     2.4.2-3         PDF printer for CUPS
> ii  cupsys                       1.2.7-4         Common UNIX Printing
> System(tm) - server
> ii  cupsys-bsd                   1.2.7-4         Common UNIX Printing
> System(tm) - BSD comman
> ii  cupsys-client                1.2.7-4         Common UNIX Printing
> System(tm) - client pro
> ii  cupsys-common                1.2.7-4         Common UNIX Printing
> System(tm) - common fil
> ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint     5.0.0-3         printer drivers for CUPS
> ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint     5.0.0-3         printer drivers for CUPS
> ii  cupsys-pt                    1.2.4-3+b1      Tool for viewing/managing
> print jobs under C
> ii  gimp-print                   5.0.0-3         print plugin for the GIMP
> ii  kdeprint                     3.5.5a.dfsg.1-6 print system for KDE
>
> I think I am using cups with kde. But how can I find out if that in fact is
> the case?

If you go to "K-menu > Settings > Printers" you can check the setting in
the "Print system currently used" combobox. It should say "CUPS (Common
UNIX Print System)".

It looks like your CUPS is working. You could nevertheless check if you
can print a test page via the http://localhost:631/printers/ frontend of
CUPS. (I expect that you can, given that the cupsys-bsd-based lpr
works.)

Then I would switch to

LogLevel debug

in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, restart cupsys and try to print from kpdf
again. Hopefully something turns up in /var/log/cups/error_log. It would
also be interesting to know if other KDE applications, e.g. kate, have
the same printing problem. Also, as always, check ~/.xsession-errors
after the unsuccessful printing attempts.

          Florian   |