USB question

Hello,

one quick question: Does each and every USB device that gets plugged into the computer generate a console message?

Background: I'm trying to get an HP scanner (6200C) to work, but the sane tools won't recognize it. And when I look at the root console when I connect the USB cable, I see no message. In contrast, when I plug in my memory stick, my portable disk or my camera, the kernel always spits out some message.

This looks as if the scanner (or at least the USB interface) is shot, hardware-wise. Valid conclusion?

Thans,
--D.