Re: Renice long-running user processes

>> > I run a shared system where I'd like to automatically lower the
>> > priority of user processes that consume more than a specified about
>> > of CPU time. I could hack something up with Perl, ps, and nice, but
>> > before I do, does anyone know of a ready-made utility to do this job?
>>
>> Would reniced be of any help?
>
>Mmmmm! Maybe just what the doctor ordered as setiathome stuff will renice
>itself to a "lower" value and start bogging things down. If this catches it
>saves me the trouble. Is there any timing options here, i.e. how often does
>the daemon check and/or how long to give the runaway before renicing it?

This goody starts with "/etc/init.d/reniced start" but has not "stop" and
seems to be a simple program run rather than a start-daemon. Seems one must
manually run reniced to have it work. (You will not get there with a RT
runaway--there is das_watchdog for that.) I think the poster wants a daemon.

And is a daemon. Problem is that it has time limits which prevent it from
trapping runaways in a short time frame. 120 seconds (its default minimum
time) is 2 minutes of actual CPU usage time. Did not "trip" in the time I was
monitoring it using "top" which is on its renicing list! (These times are
global so one might not want to change them.)

And should work for the original poster but will not quickly renice
setiathome's not-so-nice renicing of its own run.