ipod mount and udev

I'm sure someone here knows how to do this.  Two days of trawling google
have given me many examples to crib but none have worked.

I recently acquired an ipod nano (2nd gen.) 4GB. With grip and gpod, or
just with lame and a lot of painful manual renaming and gpod, I can put
tracks from CDs on it.  The problem is, of course, that it doesn't always
appear at /dev/sdb2, as it did at first.  I have tried adding a file
/etc/udev/rules.d/060-ipod.rules containing
  BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="iPod", KERNEL="sd*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="ipod"
and a lot of variations suggested by innumerable postings and articles
that google found me.  /dev/ipod never appears.  I make no pretense to
understand udev, but I get the general idea.  Surely it cannot be so
difficult to make the ipod appear somewhere consistent?  I know how to
edit /etc/fstab and how to mount the thing, if I can just get it to
be in the right place.

I understand the key information is supposed to be revealed by something
like:
$ udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sdc2)

so here is the relevant bit of the very long output -- at least I think
it is the relevant bit as it is the only stanza containing the string
"iPod":

  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/usb1/1-1':
    KERNELS=="1-1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb"
    DRIVERS=="usb"
    ATTRS{configuration}==""
    ATTRS{serial}=="000A270019578153"
    ATTRS{product}=="iPod"
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Apple"
    ATTRS{maxchild}=="0"
    ATTRS{version}==" 2.00"
    ATTRS{devnum}=="28"
    ATTRS{speed}=="12"
    ATTRS{bMaxPacketSize0}=="64"
    ATTRS{bNumConfigurations}=="2"
    ATTRS{bDeviceProtocol}=="00"
    ATTRS{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{bDeviceClass}=="00"
    ATTRS{bcdDevice}=="0002"
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="1260"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="05ac"
    ATTRS{bMaxPower}=="500mA"
    ATTRS{bmAttributes}=="c0"
    ATTRS{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
    ATTRS{bNumInterfaces}==" 1"

Can anyone tell me what to do or point me to an idiot-proof guide?

TIA

--
richard