Re: harddisc errors

--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> Hi Joris,
>
> I don't know if the business-card iso will work
> since I've never used
> it.  I'm on dialup and it doesn't have ppp support.
> The netinst.iso
> isn't that much bigger (it just won't fit on a
> business card size CD)
> and does have rescue mode.
>
> However, either should be able to give you a shell
> where you can run
> e2fsck -f.  If you really want to exercise the disk,
> do e2fsck -f -c -c to
> do a full read/write test of the filesystem.  This
> has the advantage of
> forcing the drive firmware to remap any bad blocks
> that have cropped up.
> Yes, I know, that should happen transparently all
> the time, but then
> again, shutdown -F should actually force a
> filesystem check.
>
> Doug.

Alright, a small update here. I booted in rescue mode
and did the `e2fsck -f -c -c` on the root partition.
It seems to fix something (giving a warning
'FILESYSTEM HAS CHANGED' or something similar)

I'm suspecting the problems I saw were caused by
hdparm+udev - I purged udev and reinstalled (and
removed a stale /dev/.udev) and disabled hdparm, and
no more errors were coming up; I tried reenabling
hdparm, but was getting some modules not getting
loaded again - so I purged hdparm.
I found information online that suggested udev and
hdparm together might cause problem (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/27940
), though obviously in this case it is most likely a
misconfiguration issue, not a bug in either of the two
programs.

Am currently thinking of reinstalling hdparm, though I
think I need advice as how to configure it (installing
it, or `dpkg-reconfigure hdparm`, aren't giving
configuration help)

Thanks so far for all your advices so far,

regards,
Joris

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/