Re: desktop icons for all users in Gnome

Hi,

Krzysztof Lubański wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This should do the trick:
>
> # for dir in /home/*; do ln -s /usr/local/share/doc/instructions.pdf
> $dir/Desktop/
>
> Of course, you may want to make sure that /home/* matches only real home
> directories (there may be /home/lost+found if you have a separate /home
> partition) and e.g. replace it with `cat listfile` where 'listfile'
> contains the names of home directories. Also, adding 'mkdir
> $dir/Desktop' can be necessary if some users have not run GNOME/KDE yet.

Yes, I already thought about it. In fact, I have already done something
like for a few users. However, apparently, Gnome guys do not like this
approach, they would rather use gconfd path. I found this little intro:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gnome_Desktop_Admin_Guide

>> (Perhaps this is very much similar to the concept of All Users desktop
>> in Windows XP.)
>
> I am not aware of an analogous concept in GNOME or others... Looks much
> a Microsoft way, forcing users to have something on the desktop that's
> not theirs and what they can not remove.

Now, I am not familiar with that either, but I know it exists. And for
this particular machine, having an icon on every user's desktop which he
cannot remove is actually the exact desired objective!

->HS