Re: desktop icons for all users in Gnome

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 23:19 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Can anybody suggest an easy method to put a link to a file on all
> current user's Gnome desktops?
>
> More specifically, I have a PDF instructions file I want to put a link
> to on all user's Gnome desktop on a machine. [...]

Hello,

This should do the trick:

# for dir in /home/*; do ln -s /usr/local/share/doc/instructions.pdf
$dir/Desktop/

Of course, you may want to make sure that /home/* matches only real home
directories (there may be /home/lost+found if you have a separate /home
partition) and e.g. replace it with `cat listfile` where 'listfile'
contains the names of home directories. Also, adding 'mkdir
$dir/Desktop' can be necessary if some users have not run GNOME/KDE yet.

If you want future users to have this link, too, make a 'Desktop'
directory in /etc/skel and put a similar symlink there. /etc/skel
directory contents are copied to the new home directory when you create
a user with 'adduser' or 'useradd -m -k'.

> (Perhaps this is very much similar to the concept of All Users desktop
> in Windows XP.)

I am not aware of an analogous concept in GNOME or others... Looks much
a Microsoft way, forcing users to have something on the desktop that's
not theirs and what they can not remove.

Good luck!

--
Krzysztof Lubanski