Problem accessing PS/2 mouse using input core

Dear mailing list subscribers,

after upgrading from kernel 2.4.31 to 2.6.21 on a debian box I'm not
able to use the PS/2 mouse (Logitech optical) anymore. On kernel
2.4.31 it worked fine using the character device driver. As this
driver is not present anymore on Linux 2.6, I try to use the input
device layer now, but it doesn't even find the mouse. There is no
kernel message mentioning the mouse, and it doesn't show up in
/dev/input (there are only devices created for keyboard and PC
speaker, and the generic /dev/input/mice, which doesn't provide any
data of course). Loading the psmouse module or compiling PS/2 mouse
input core support into the kernel doesn't help. What else could I
look into to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Isidor Zeuner