Re: umount /var: Device busy

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:33:09PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> when shutting down my etch system, I get a
>
> umount /var: Device busy
>   Failed
>
> During the next reboot the /var partition is checked, but there is never an
> inconsistency found, looks like the partition is at least synced during
> shutdown.
>
> The only uncommon thing at this system, I remember:
> I upgraded the system twice from woody to sarge and recently from sarge to
> etch, though I am not sure if the problem came with the upgrade.
>
> Does anybody have an idea how I could find out why the device is busy?

As root:

~#cp /usr/bin/lsof .

So you can run this command with /usr/ unmounted.

Run the /etc/rc0.d scripts manually in order K** before S** giving each
the parameter Stop.

Just before running S40umountfs, type

~#./lsof

and see what files are still open.

Then run S40umountfs and watch.

If there is an error again as you describe,

~#./lsof

To see what is still open.

The result may provide some clew.

If /var/ won't unmount, before continuing with the shutdown process:

~#umount -r /var

This may work to remount /var in read-only.

Doug.