Re: browser display of accented characters

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 12:43:05PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

> > And then you _may_ need to tell the browser to use UTF-8
>
> Thanks, Doug, that fixed the problem, although I still don't
> understand why. If the browser is set to display ISO-8859-1, that
> character set (and I suppose the default "serif" font) includes
> accented characters, and so I don't understand why the change to UTF-8
> was needed.

The accented characters in ISO-8859-1 are single-byte.  The web page is
sending two-byte characters.  I don't like the way UTF and locales slows
down my older systems and its a pain having some boxes UTF and others C
so I have everything C and have purged the locales package.

Sometimes people from ISO-8859-1 countries now that they're running Etch
end up sending two-byte chars such as "'" so that I see things like
"don?t".  Its called progress.  I'm sure it is for non ISO-8859-1
people but I don't know why apps don't send single-byte chars for chars
that exist in C.

The change was needed so that people from around the world, who may
natively need two bytes per char can read web pages and mail from around
the world without changing to C each time.  However, as I understand it,
every system call (plus I'm not sure what else) has to do a locales
lookup before executing.  Yeah, my 486 really loves that.

> I also still have problems with # dpkg-reconfigure locals. When I run
> this command, I find that en-US ISO-8859-1 is selected, and so I
> accept it (I tried both with and without defining the default
> locale). When I log out/in, I find that the $ locale command tells me
> I'm still using en_US.UTF-8.

If you want UTF to work, you'll have to select en-US_UTF-8

C you later :)

Doug.