Re: browser display of accented characters

On Wednesday, 22. August 2007 13:29, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm not sure when this problem came up, but perhaps when I upgraded to
> etch. Put simply, my browsers no longer can display accented
> characters.
>
> For example, I create a little test file with a and u umlaut and e
> ecute:
>
>   This is a test
>   ä ü é
>
> Xterm can display them, but in galeon and iceweasal they are broken:
>
>   This is a test
>   ä ü é
>
> I try to use the browser defaults, and the default for both browsers
> is "serif". I'm not sure what my system interprets that as (Times New
> Roman?), but I'd assume it is with a font that supports normal
> accented characters.
>
> --
>
>        Haines Brown, KB1GRM
Looks like a UTF-8 problem. ä etc are UTF-8 characters and perhaps you're
using some ISO-8859-X encoding.
try as root:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
select the locales you need and set the system default.
See also /etc/environment
http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/maint/Maintenance-sysadmin.html
(5.4 Systemwide environment configuration and forward)

--
-=[JT]=-