Re: Debian Etch compatible wireless PCI card recommendations

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:10:56 +0200
Gyorgy Abraham <hangcsapda@gmail.com> wrote:

> Glen Yu írta:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm going to be housemates with a co-worker of mine and he uses an Apple
> > wireless router which allows him to send songs to his speakers via iTunes.
> >
> > Anyhow, the router has no ethernet ports so I'm going to need to get a
> > wireless PCI card for my PC.  I was just wondering if anyone here uses
> > wireless PCI and what's good to use with Debian Etch.  I was looking at
> > the D-Link WDA-2320 RangeBooster G Desktop Adapter -- does anyone have
> > problems with that?
> >

> > If you have any recommendations on PCI or even  USB wireless adapters
> > that will work well with Debian Etch, please let me know.  Thanks!
> >

> > Cheers,
> > -Glen
>
> Hello,
>
> I can recommend you:
> - SiS163u based wifi devices (for example: KWG-3000 USB 2.0 adapter) ->
> ndiswrapper + win32 driver
> - Broadcom based devices (I'm using Broadcom 4306 with the free bcm43xx
> driver, this driver can only work at 11 mbit/s, but ndiswrapper+win32
> driver gives 54 mbps).
>
> There two chips were extensively used by me under Linux.
> I'm using Broadcom 4306 (miniPCI in a laptop) now, without errors.

Any Atheros-based PCI or PCMCIA card (NOT USB).
My laptop has a Broadcom 4318; it works with the native
(reverse-engineered) bcm43xx driver and (with what feels like better
performance) ndiswrapper, but I still prefer Atheros hardware.  Madwifi
was designed with the company's cooperation, not via
reverse-engineering, it has excellent documentation, and it works very
well.  [You do have to tolerate a non-free HAL].  I've used a Trendware
TEW-443PI for years with excellent results, and more recently an Airnet
card with no complaints (about the hardware; the company failed to
honor a rebate submission).  Just look for cards advertising 108MB; you
don't have to use that Atheros proprietary extension to the 802.11g
standard, but it's a trivial and foolproof way of locating Atheros gear.

Celejar