Re: Apache2 & php5 Problem

On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Randy Patterson wrote:

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 21:53, Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 21:28 -0500, Randy Patterson wrote:
I am trying to setup a local web server on my machine to test php
projects before going live. I have installed apache2, php5 and mysql
using aptitude and apache and mysql seem to be working fine. I try to
load a test page in a browser;

http://localhost/apache2-default/test.php

The file contains a test message between header tags <h1></h1> and below
that a php script line that just prints another test message with the
'print' command. The browser displays the first HTML message but not the message from the php script line. There are no errors messages. Is there some configuration that needs to take place after installing php5 with
aptitude?

Thanks,
Randy

First of all, disable the redirect in the default site file:
sudo vim /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

   #RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/

sudo invoke-rc.d apache2 force-reload

Now, a way to test your PHP installation is to put the following in a
php file in your webserver document root (/var/www):

<?php
  phpinfo();
?>

and open that file up through the browser:

http://localhost/phpinfo.php

This gives you all the information about your PHP installation.

I followed these directions, even copied and pasted the code! But all I get is a blank page. No error messages. See other post for another example of the
problem.

Thanks,
Randy

You might need to add an AddHandler directive to your Apache config file if there isn't one already and a ScriptAlias

This is what I followed when I was having troubles getting Apache to behave and parse php right:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/cgi.html