Re: Disadvantages of Iceweasel instead of Firefox

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 17:21 +0200, Gyorgy Abraham wrote:
> As you all know, Debian Etch released with Iceweasel instead of Firefox.
> This is totally okay, but some applications (like X-Chat or Gaim/Pidgin)
> still uses "firefox %u" command instead of "iceweasel %u" for opening
> web URL addresses, from Gaim conversations and IRC channels.
> [...]
> How could I make my system "firefox-aware"? Maybe a symlink named
> "firefox" to "iceweasel"? Or aliases?

  Hello.

  Well, your system should be "Firefox-aware". Check out these commands:

$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/firefox
$ file /usr/bin/firefox

  The iceweasel package automatically installs this symlink to avoid any
confusion. If it didn't disappear, any application executing 'firefox'
should be okay. Maybe you have some strange settings in GNOME's System
-> Preferences -> Preferred Applications?

  In any case, every reasonable application should let you set the URL
handling command. XChat (non-GNOME version) has it in Settings ->
Advanced -> URL Handlers menu. Gaim/Pidgin and XChat-GNOME use GNOME's
browser preference, as mentioned above (at least by default, I think).

--
Regards,
Krzysztof Lubanski