Re: harddisc errors

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 12:13:01PM -0700, Joris Huizer wrote:

> I'm wondering whether something is wrong with my hardware. I'm
> attaching an dmesg output I stored.
>
> For a few days sound output has disappeared. That started as I enabled
> tmpfs support in the kernel, which  also enabled the user-mode udev
> program to run.  However, booting in the old kernel, in which udev
> won't get started, didn't solve anything - sound not coming back.
>
> I'm suspecting problems with the harddisc, especially as I see modules
> not getting loaded correctly on boot time, and them loading correctly
> on second try; I've also seen udev "hanging" on boot time, while, at a
> certain interval, printing "lost hdb interrupt" or something like that
> (leaving me no choice but to reboot the machine - using the physical
> reboot button). Again, next try, it'd boot fine;
>
> I'm worried about these lines:
>
> hdb: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> ide: failed opcode was: 0xef hdb: drive not ready for command hdb:
> status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } ide:
> failed opcode was: unknown hdb: drive not ready for command hdb:
> set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown hdb: CHECK for good
> STATUS
>
> Those aren't showing up consistently in dmesg output either.
>
> I hope I'm wrong, that this somehow is some configuration error or so
> (in udev configuration perhaps??) but...  Hoping someone could tell me
> what's a cause for this.

Take a deep breath.
Breathe out.

OK.  If you weren't having troubles with modules I'd be more worried.
Since you seem to be having troubles with modules, its possible that the
correct module for your drive/controller/whatever isn't being loaded by
udev and whatever made your initrd.

If you don't have a knoppix as someone suggested, boot the install CD in
rescue mode and do the same thing.

If you don't have errors then lsmod to see what modules are loaded and
compare this with the modules loaded when you do have errors.

And, of course, I hope you have good backups if not for yourself, then
for your friend Justin Case.

Doug.