Exim4, smarthost and local aliases

Hello everyone,

I have some trouble with my MTU config. The box is a local server with
an internal domain name and always-on network connection.
I've set it to smarthost, no local mail.
So far, so good: mail is accepted locally, then routed to our company
mail server. However, I've found that local aliases (/etc/aliases) are
ignored. Instead, unqualified addresses are qualified, then sent out.
Therefore, mail addressed to root goes to root@our.company.example
rather than the actual sysadmins. I thought that even with "no local
mail", admin mail should work, but either I'm mistaken there, or I've
messed things up elsewhere (but I don't know where).
By the way, address rewriting according to /etc/email-addresses does
take place.

Any idea where to look next?

Thanks,

A.