Re: shutdown

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:02, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:00:13 +0000 (UTC)
>
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > I think it's more a kernel thingy, along with some hardware.
> >
> > Anyway. when you get Grubs menu, select the kernel you want to boot,
> > then press "a". Do one space, and add acpi=force to the kernel line,
> > then press "b" , and the appended kernel will boot. If when you
> > shutdown it all works ok, you can add acpi=force to your kernel lines
> > in /boot/grub/grub.conf, doing this of course as root on the CLI with
> > a text editor.
>
> Alas, it did not work.  The computer at my workplace, which also has
> Etch, does shutdown properly, though.  One difference between these
> computers was in the setup of them -- I installed the default desktop
> for the computer at work (which is also an older Pentium III), whereas I
> was more selective at home (not wishing to have all sorts of extraneous
> programs that I never use). I'm thinking there may be a package or two
> that did not get installed on my home computer that have made a
> difference. It's not that important, though, but, I appreciate all
> suggestions.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark. After my reply to your post on Wednesday, I did a bit of Googling,
and turned up loads of acpi related stuff to append the kernel line with.
Mainly this was from a bug report for Ubuntu on Launchpad, and for acpi
related problems with the 2.6.15 kernel.

Some of the options to append the kernel with involve using more than one
option.

Single options to append the kernel line with:
nolapic, lapic, noapic, acpi=power-off, acpi=off

Acpi=off fixed the problem for someone, as there appeared to be a conflict
between apm, and acpi.

Dual options:
acpi=force lapic

Someone else found that the dual option:
noapic nolapic
Did not work, but:
noacpi nolacpi
Did work.

I'm afraid that all these options seem to be a bit trial and error. IIRC I
also remember something about disabling acpi in the BIOS causing the CPU fan
to be disabled. I think though, that is with laptops. Someone correct me if
I'm wrong there.

When I had my shutdown problems on FC5, someone on the Fedora list suggested
there could be a problem with SMP enabled kernels, and acpi. I'm about to ask
on the list if you can disable SMP by appending the kernel line in GRUB with
some incantation or other.

All the best.

Nigel.