Re: shutdown

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:02, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:00:13 +0000 (UTC)
>
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > I think it's more a kernel thingy, along with some hardware.
> >
> > Anyway. when you get Grubs menu, select the kernel you want to boot,
> > then press "a". Do one space, and add acpi=force to the kernel line,
> > then press "b" , and the appended kernel will boot. If when you
> > shutdown it all works ok, you can add acpi=force to your kernel lines
> > in /boot/grub/grub.conf, doing this of course as root on the CLI with
> > a text editor.
>
> Alas, it did not work.  The computer at my workplace, which also has
> Etch, does shutdown properly, though.  One difference between these
> computers was in the setup of them -- I installed the default desktop
> for the computer at work (which is also an older Pentium III), whereas I
> was more selective at home (not wishing to have all sorts of extraneous
> programs that I never use). I'm thinking there may be a package or two
> that did not get installed on my home computer that have made a
> difference. It's not that important, though, but, I appreciate all
> suggestions.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark. Sorry it didn't work. Did you try lacpi, and also lapic appended to
the kernel line as well? Also the suggestions in that bug report link I
provided.

The fact that your machine running Etch at work shuts down ok, but the one at
home doesn't, is similar to my experience with Fedora core 5 which is on both
of my machines. On the old Gateway P111 (katmai), FC5 shutsdown ok whichever
kernel I boot with, but on the other machine, an Aiiifriend with 1.3Ghz
celeron, FC5 shutsdown ok if I boot with the 2.6.15 kernel that was the one
on the install disks, but if I boot with one of the later kernels, I have to
append the kernel with acpi=force to get it to shutdown completely.

As I said also, someone else running FC6 on different hardware to me, found
that appending the kernel line with lacpi worked for him.

All my Debian installs on the I-Friend machine that has the problem with FC5
shutdown ok, although they all started off as Woody 3.0r2, and I have a bunch
of older kernels on them. 2.4.27, 2.6.8, 2.6.11, and the latest on Etch, and
Lenny is a 2.6.17 one. I'll have to try and get a later one for Etch, and
Lenny, and see if I get shutdown problems. I say this because the point at
which shutdown problems seem to start is somewhere between the 2.6.17, and
the 2.6.18 kernel, and again, only on some hardware.

Do you have earlier kernels you could try (2.6.17, or earlier)? I don't think
they are available anymore from the Etch repo, but it's worth a look. I only
suggest this to perhaps verify that it is a kernel related problem, along
with the hardware you have at home.

What does your dmesg output show regarding acpi? You should find the acpi
stuff pretty near to the start of dmesg.

There are a big bunch of acpi related incantations you can append the kernel
line with, but I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

That's all for now.

All the best.

Nigel.