Re: problems read/write mounting of NTFS

Krzysztof Lubański wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 14:03 -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:
But, it was formatted with NTFS and I was not able to write to it[...]
[...]
I've also adjusted the associated options in /etc/fstab, but I still can't write to the disk.

  Hello.

  The standard NTFS kernel driver and ntfsprogs have only a limited
write support. E.g. the kernel driver only allows to change existing
files, but without changing their length.

I then thought I should try the FUSE based tools, so I removed the ntfsprogs package and libntfs9 that it depends on and tried to install ntfs-3g. But it depends on 'libfuse2 (>=2.6), but all that's available in Etch is 2.5.3-4.4, which is already installed. [...]

  NTFS-3G is not in stable yet, try installing it from
http://backports.org/. It will surely allow you to write.

That's the rub - I did try to install NTFS-3G, from backports, but it has the dependency mentioned (on libfuse2 >=2.6), which didn't get resolved by the installer.

I'll check backports again, and see if the libfuse2 library is there. If so I'll try installing it "manually" and report back.

Thanks.

--
Bob McGowan