problems read/write mounting of NTFS

I recently purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GO USB portable disk. It's powered by the USB bus, so no bulky power adapter ;)

But, it was formatted with NTFS and I was not able to write to it, so I reformatted it VFAT so I could move the files I had to work with. This was done with my system at work, running Etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-686 (as is, from Debian).

Two days ago, I was working with a 300GB USB drive (desktop storage, with power adapter) which I attached to my system at home, also running Etch and (I believe) the same kernel. Only, in this case, the disk was mounted read/write and I was able to copy files to it.

So, I thought, I must have done something wrong at work. So, today, I've wiped the FreeAgent clean and reformatted the disk with NTFS (first with the 'mkntfs' utility on my Linux Etch box, second on a Windows XP system of a co-worker).

I've also adjusted the associated options in /etc/fstab, but I still can't write to the disk. Below is output from various commands, showing that the owner and group of the mount point are set, the permissions are OK, etc. But, even 'root' can't touch this disk.

$ pwd
/media/usb0
$ pwd
/media/usb0
$ ls -ld
drwxrwx--- 1 rmcgowan rmcgowan 4096 2007-08-17 13:38 .
$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwx--- 1 rmcgowan rmcgowan 0 2007-08-17 13:38 System Volume Information
$ touch abc
touch: cannot touch `abc': Permission denied
$ mkdir xyz
mkdir: xyz: [Operation not permitted]
$ su
Password:
# touch xyz
touch: cannot touch `xyz': Permission denied
# mount
<-- removed other irrelevant mounts-->
/dev/sde1 on /media/usb0 type ntfs \
   (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=007,user=rmcgowan)

I then thought I should try the FUSE based tools, so I removed the ntfsprogs package and libntfs9 that it depends on and tried to install ntfs-3g. But it depends on 'libfuse2 (>=2.6), but all that's available in Etch is 2.5.3-4.4, which is already installed. If I go to SID, I can get the right libfuse2, but installing it wants to change out too much, I can't take the chance with my work system of breaking something.

Any thoughts on why the existing Etch tools (ntfsprogs) won't work?

Thanks,

--
Bob McGowan