Re: change partitions

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 11:36:41AM +1000, jupiter.hce@gmail.com wrote:

> Should I use fdisk to remove the window partition or if there is a better
> partition tool I can use in Debian?

You could try parted or the graphical frontends qtparted and gparted.
You could also use partimage by booting with your install CD and
skipping directly to the partitioning step.

> Can I remove the window partition from Linux?

Yes.

> Is there a partition tool in Debian which can detect the ext3 partition
> problem and to fix it without re-format or re-partition?

e2fsck. See 'man e2fsck' for details.

> Also, I have only one window OS, but I don't k now why both hda1 and hda2
> are for window partitions, can I delete both of them? Please see following
> partition information and the debian boot is in Master section.

According to that I am guessing hda1 is your C: drive and hda2 is your
D: drive. You can check the contents by mounting them somewhere
temporarily (ntfs is restricted to read-only):

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs
mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/vfat

You need to create the respective dirs before that.

> sudo fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 32.0 GB, 32003112960 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3890 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>    /dev/hda1               1         255     2048256    7  HPFS/NTFS
>    /dev/hda2             256        1275     8193150    b  W95 FAT32

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Be careful to backup any data you need BEFORE deleting any
partition.
(Albert Einstein)