Re: Using USB Drives for a RAID

On 08/18/07 23:59, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> At this point I'm exploring several possibilities.
>> Possible whats?  Drinking games?  Strip clubs?
>
> Are there any lists you're on where you haven't brought up naked women
> out of context? :-?

For a libertarian, you sure have forgotten that there's more in this
world than just women taking their clothes off for me.

Shame on you.  Now go see Molly Yard for a multicultural sensitivity
training class!

> Possibilities of using USB drives instead of internal drives for a RAID.
> It would provide something close to hotplug and also
>
>> Yes, I'm being snide, but that's because you didn't answer my
>> question.
>>
>> Are you trying to solve a portability problem using high-capacity
>> external drives, or a speed problem with USB thumb drives?
>
> There's several reasons I'm looking into it.  I suspect one issue with
> the box I've been using could be circulation, which I could solve with
> separate drive enclosures.  It would make drive swapping easier and it
> could also make it portable.  I don't know what else, which is why I
> asked the question.  If people say, "Yeah, I've tried it and it doesn't
> work," then I drop the idea.  If people tell me, "I've tried it and
> found it was a benefit because of a, b, and c, then I know it's worth
> looking into and perhaps worth using.

You need a case that's purpose-designed to be a server.  They are
engineered for air flow, blah blah.

But they are also expensive.  A home-server might be adequate for
your needs.

http://www.directron.com/stct01uw.html

[snip]

- --