Re: Using USB Drives for a RAID

On Saturday 18 August 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 08/18/07 20:35, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> >> What's the problem that you are trying to solve?
> >
> > At this point I'm exploring several possibilities.
>
> Possible whats?  Drinking games?  Strip clubs?

Are there any lists you're on where you haven't brought up naked women
out of context? :-?

Possibilities of using USB drives instead of internal drives for a RAID.
It would provide something close to hotplug and also

> Yes, I'm being snide, but that's because you didn't answer my
> question.
>
> Are you trying to solve a portability problem using high-capacity
> external drives, or a speed problem with USB thumb drives?

There's several reasons I'm looking into it.  I suspect one issue with
the box I've been using could be circulation, which I could solve with
separate drive enclosures.  It would make drive swapping easier and it
could also make it portable.  I don't know what else, which is why I
asked the question.  If people say, "Yeah, I've tried it and it doesn't
work," then I drop the idea.  If people tell me, "I've tried it and
found it was a benefit because of a, b, and c, then I know it's worth
looking into and perhaps worth using.

That's why the original question: Has anyone tried this and what kind of
experience did they have?  I find when I'm looking at a new
possibility, focusing on only my ideas can often close off discussion
about other possibilities or benefits I hadn't thought of.

> >                                                    If USB RAID is
> > not practical or workable, then I'll just drop the possibility and
> > stick with sata or pata drives.
>
> Many companies sell multi-drive USB & firewire enclosures, and lots
> do RAID-5.  Get one with 5 slots, stuff 750GB drives in it, and get
> 3TB of easily transportable storage in the size of a large shoebox.

That's an idea I might find useful!  Thanks!

Hal