Re: RBL Lookups using Postfix or Spamassassin

On Saturday 18 August 2007 14:51, Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
> I'm using Postfix with Amavisd-new, Spamassassin, etc.  I what to use
> RBL lookups to stop spam, but I am unsure as to whether to have Postfix
> perform the lookup or Spamassassin?  I know that if I enable it on
> Postfix, those emails will be rejected and possibly legitimate emails as
> well, but if I have Spamassassin perform it, my mail server will be
> accepting a lot more email which will be more taxing on the server...

If your server is heavily loaded then you might want to do RBL lookups
in Postfix.  However, if you can handle the load then deferring RBL
lookups until you run spamassassin out of procmail allows users to
override RBL with white lists when needed.

We use defer-if-reject/reject-unknown-client, reject-non-fqdn-sender,
reject-unlisted-sender, and defer-if-reject/reject-unknown-sender-domain
in Postfix which block a lot of the spam, but we don't lookup RBLs
until spamassassin runs from procmail.

If you only have one user, or otherwise only have one spam policy, then
you can run spamassassin out of postfix instead of procmail.

--Mike Bird