Re: french accents

On 08/18/2007 02:01 PM, Phill Atwood wrote:
This isn't debian specific, but I'm wondering if someone could point me to a good resource for understanding how-to enter french accents into, for example, emails. I know that it is probably got something to do with locales and character sets, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start. My locale is english-canada I believe. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Phill

Install the package doc-linux-text and read the file /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.gz

Also read the Debian Reference's section on localization:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-l10n

or,
/usr/share/doc/Debian/reference/reference.en.txt.gz (install debian-reference-en first).

I'm using the "us" keyboard layout, but I enabled "dead" keys by using xmodmap to map an unused key to the Compose (or Multi_key) function.

Now I press (<Compose> ` e) to get è, and I press (<Compose> " a) to get ä.

Note, I'm using Sarge and XFree86. I wouldn't think that Etch/Xorg would be terribly different.