Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 08:52:45PM +0200, Manon Metten wrote:

> Thanks for sharing your valuable experience. I've decided to first become
> more familiar with Bash and then I'll give Python a try. If it don't like
> it, I
> can always try something else. But ATM I think Python will be the best
> option. I've seen some code on the net that looks pretty clean and some
> examples that enable me to achieve what I want.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  While the coding of both bash
and pyhthon _can_ be made clear, bash allows some cryptic short-cuts
that are rather common whereas python enforces clean coding.  Also, I
find that some of the bash constructs are cryptic by their nature with
no clean work-arounds.  They are likely perfectly clear to a proficient
bash coder but the finer points are lost on me.

In short, I use bash for things like dos .bat files; a sequential list
of commands.  Once something requires looping or decisions, I go
straight for python.  To complete the sequence, if python is too slow at
something, I recode the relevant functions in Fortran.  I did that a lot
on my 486 but never on my Athlon64. :)

Doug