Re: Public key SSH with Midnight Commander

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> [2007 Aug 17 13:11 -0500]:
> * Atis <atis@BEST.eu.org> [2007 Aug 17 10:55 -0500]:
> > On 8/17/07, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> wrote:
> > > I have my SSH set up to use only public key authentication between my
> > > laptop and my remote host--no password fallback, no PAM.  So, I
> > > initiate a session using:
> > >
> > > $ ssh -i .ssh/id_remote remote.host.ip.address
> > >
> > > Then I am prompted for the password of the .ssh/id_remote file which
> > > resides on the laptop.
> > >
> > > This works well (X11 Forwarding even!), but when I've tried Midnight
> > > Commander or Konqueror using the fish protocol, I get errors.  In
> > > experimenting, it appears to me that fish only uses password
> > > authentication.  How can I make this work with public key only as I'm
> > > using?
> > >
> > > I want to keep my SSH access as secure as possible by using only public
> > > key authentication.
> >
> > Use sshfs
>
> That still doesn't work.  I get:
>
> read: Connection reset by peer
>
> It doesn't seem to be able to let me specify a path to the
> ~/.ssh/id_remote file and then prompt for a password like the -i option
> of ssh.  It does work okay with a host that uses the default id_r|dsa
> filename, but I use a different key for different hosts and must
> specify the correct key to ssh.  Does sshfs support this?
>
> Ideas?

Well, as is usual, I solved it via Google.  Here is what I needed to do:

sshfs ip.address.of.host: mountpoint -o IdentityFile="~/.ssh/id_remote"

The reference from the sshfs help output and manpage is a bit obscure
refering the reader to the ssh_config man page for ssh option where
IdentityFile is described.

Works like a hose!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.