Re: Suggestions for diagramming software

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 09:14:54AM -0400, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> was heard to say:
> I'll second the suggestion of xfig. I used it extensively when I was
> writing papers and slides in LaTeX. The commandline tools that go along
> with it (particularly fig2dev and pstoedit) make it very easy to import
> existing diagrams (in any format you can print to postscript, though you
> won't get much advantage out of doing that with raster files) into it and
> export diagrams from it into any format. Add the PStricks LaTeX package and
> you can really do some impressive stuff with it. I still use xfig for my
> diagramming needs whenever possible.

  If you're going the direction of pstricks, I'd suggest considering pgf
instead.  It's not quite as mature or featureful, but it works when you
need to output to PDF (good for doing presentations with latex-beamer,
for instance).

  Daniel