Dansguardian Antivirus Patch & clamdscan

Looking to upgrade my Sarge server to Etch.  We use Squid & Dansguardian
for managing Internet access at my company.  Etch's version of
Dansguardian has new anti-virus scanning of downloads.  When I install
Dansguardian on my test box, it installs clamav as well.  I installed
the clamav daemon and freshclam and want to use it with Dansguardian.

The virusengine = clamav works fine, but when I specify the virusengine
as clamdscan, starting Dansguardian gives me an error message: "Unknown
AV Engine; check your configuration" even though it is stated in the
configuration file as an option.  Is this because it was not compiled
using the --with-av-engine=clamdscan option?

I created a deb from source using apt-get source, adding clamdscan in
the configure file (--with-av-engine='clamav,clamdscan') with no other
changes and built it using dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b within
the directory.  Everything went fine and after I installed the .deb, I
tried using Dansguardian again and this time, I get an error message in
the browser: "DansGuardian Antivirus Patch - Error during scanning
Error message: 'lstat() failed.'"  Is this a permission problem?  I
already added clamav to the dansguardian group and
AllowSupplementaryGroups true is in clamd.conf

Any success using clamdscan with Dansguardian in Etch?